An understanding of and effective and efficient use of social media are skills which are being requested more and more of business owners and employees alike. Even those of us who work with social media on a daily basis and specialise in this field can find it hard to keep up with all the constant changes, and just a few short years ago, many of us had never heard of Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest let alone used them daily – or even hourly!
Taking the first step of identifying exactly what we would like to (and need to) learn is important and this is a question I ask as part of the Zestee Social Media School intake.
Here are a few of the things the current group of students are keen to learn, in no particular order. Many of these have been listed by several people as important:
- How to be efficient and effective on social media
- Decide which social media tools I should be using in my business
- Set up a Facebook page for my business
- Update my website with social media
- How to use social media to attract new readers/clients
- How to be more effective on social media (so it doesn’t take all day!)
- Create a blog to promote a project
- Adding “good knowledge and practice of social media tools” to my CV
- Implementing social media tools in future jobs
- What are the many options possible within social media tools
- How to find quality material to retweet/share/post
- How to manage security and privacy settings and issues
- Understand more about the many tools, especially newer ones such as Pinterest.
- Understanding the benefits and differences between the tools/platforms
- How to create a social media plan and effective strategies
- How to better reach the right target market
- Which apps and tabs can I use within Facebook for my business
- How can I use wordpress for my blog/website?
- Deciding on the frequency of using social media
- How to correctly set up each tool/platform
- Designing campaigns to engage consumers on each tool
- How to generate income and make focussed connections
- Connect with those within my industry
- How to increase likes/followers
- Increasing Google ranking via social media use
Then there are many comments about learning how to use specific tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, E-newsletters, Pinterest, Instagram and more.
It’s worth taking some time to consider these questions and your own perspective of these. Do these cover the type of things you feel you need to know? Do you have more to add to this list? Then please comment below!
These points and more will be covered in the Zestee social media school. There are often not black and white answers, but by better understanding each tool (also called a platform), exploring these a little and creating a social media strategy, you can become more efficient, effective and confident with your social media use.
You may also like to read more about what are the things people are most confused or concerned about in relation to social media. (post coming soon).